The Maori Tattoo Tarot: An Illustrated Companion by Victor Paul is a beautiful and unique deck that combines the traditional imagery of the tarot with the art and symbolism of Maori culture. The cards are rendered in vibrant colors, and they feature intricate illustrations of Maori symbols, such as moko (tattoos), koru (spirals), and taniwha (guardian spirits).
The Maori Tattoo Tarot is based on the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, but it has a distinctly Maori flavor. The Major Arcana cards are all renamed to reflect their Maori theme, and the Minor Arcana cards feature new illustrations that are more in keeping with the Maori theme.
The Maori Tattoo Tarot is a great choice for anyone who is looking for a beautiful and unique deck. The cards are well-illustrated and easy to read, and the Maori theme is both inspiring and meaningful.
Here are some of the pros and cons of the Maori Tattoo Tarot:
- Beautiful and unique artwork
- Vibrant colors
- Maori theme
- Well-illustrated and easy to read
- Comes with a companion book that provides insights into the Maori symbolism
- Not as widely available as some other decks
- Some of the symbolism may be too esoteric for some readers
Overall, the Maori Tattoo Tarot is a well-done deck that is sure to appeal to fans of the tarot. However, it is important to be aware of the deck’s limitations before purchasing it. If you are not interested in the Maori theme, or if you find the symbolism to be too esoteric, then you may want to consider another deck.
Here are some additional thoughts on the deck:
- I really like the way that the artist has incorporated Maori symbols into the traditional Rider-Waite-Smith imagery. The cards are both beautiful and meaningful, and I find them to be very easy to connect with.
- I also appreciate the fact that the deck comes with a companion book that provides insights into the Maori symbolism. This is a great resource for anyone who wants to learn more about the deck and its cultural significance.
- Overall, I think the Maori Tattoo Tarot is a great deck. It is beautiful, meaningful, and unique. I would definitely recommend it to fans of the tarot who are looking for a deck with a different perspective.