Illustrated Key to the Tarot – Arthur Edward Waite
Illustrated Key to the Tarot is a book that provides an overview of the tarot, its history, and its symbolism. The book is written by Arthur Edward Waite, a well-known occultist and author.
The book is divided into two parts. The first part, “The History of the Tarot,” provides a brief overview of the tarot’s history, from its possible origins in Egypt to its development in Europe. The second part, “The Symbolism of the Tarot,” discusses the meaning of the symbols on the tarot cards, both individually and in combination.
Waite’s book is well-written and easy to understand. He does a good job of explaining the tarot’s symbolism in a way that is accessible to beginners. He also provides clear and concise explanations of the symbols and concepts that are shared by the tarot and other mystical systems.
Here are some of the pros and cons of Illustrated Key to the Tarot:
- Well-written and easy to understand
- Provides clear and concise explanations of symbols and concepts
- Explores the symbolism of the tarot in depth
- Includes a variety of illustrations
- Some of the information may be outdated
- Not as in-depth as some other books on the tarot
Overall, Illustrated Key to the Tarot is a valuable resource for anyone who is interested in learning more about the tarot. The book is well-written and easy to understand, and it provides a solid foundation for understanding the tarot’s symbolism.
However, it is important to note that some of the information in the book may be outdated. For example, Waite discusses the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, which is one of the most popular tarot decks, but he does not mention any of the newer decks that have been created in recent years.
If you are interested in learning more about the tarot, I recommend Illustrated Key to the Tarot. It is a great place to start your journey into the world of tarot.
Here are some additional thoughts on the book:
- I appreciate that Waite takes the time to discuss the history of the tarot, as well as its different interpretations. This helps to put the tarot in context and gives readers a better understanding of how it works.
- I also appreciate Waite’s clear and concise explanations of the concepts and symbols taught in the book. He does a good job of breaking down complex topics into easy-to-understand terms.
- I also appreciate the book’s variety of illustrations. The illustrations help to bring the tarot’s symbolism to life and make it easier to understand.
Overall, I think Illustrated Key to the Tarot is a valuable resource for anyone who is interested in learning more about the tarot. The book is well-written and easy to follow, and Waite is a clear and engaging teacher. However, the book is a bit outdated, so you may want to supplement your reading with other books or resources.